Social Media Examiner recently published its newest social media marketing industry report. The 49-page report is packed with 77 charts based on input from 5,700 marketers. Below I delineate some of what you’ll find in the report.
First, let’s start with the report’s major findings:
- 85% of marketers use visuals in their marketing and 73% plan on increasing their use of visuals.
- 61% of marketers plan on using live video services, and 69% want to learn more about live video.
- Instagram is on a growth trajectory: Currently, 54% of marketers are using Instagram, yet 63% plan on increasing their Instagram activities and 71% of marketers want to learn more about Instagram.
- Facebook is the most important social network for marketers. When asked to select their most important platform, 62% of marketers chose Facebook, followed by LinkedIn at 16%.
- Many marketers are unsure about their Facebook marketing: A significant 40% of marketers don’t know if their Facebook marketing is working and 53% have seen declines in their Facebook News Feed exposure.
- Facebook ads dominate: A surprising 93% of social marketers regularly use Facebook ads and 64% plan on increasing their Facebook ads activities.
Next, let’s review some additional insights from:
- 92% of marketers said that social media is important to their business.
- Only 42% of marketers felt their Facebook marketing was effective, a decrease of 46% in 2016.
- 53% of marketers said that they saw declines in their Facebook news feed activity. Plus, 42% of marketers were unsure as to the effectiveness of their marketing on Facebook.
- The top two benefits of social media marketing are increasing exposure and increasing traffic. A significant 88% of all marketers indicated that their social media efforts had generated more exposure for their businesses. Increasing traffic was the second major benefit, with 78% reporting positive results.
- More than half of marketers who have been using social media for more than two years say it helped them improve sales.
- Taking six hours per week, 91% of marketers indicated their social media efforts increased exposure for their business.
- 88% of marketers who have been using social media marketing for one year or longer say it generates exposure for their businesses.
Finally, it’s fun to review which social media networks marketers use the most.
- 94% of marketers use Facebook.
- 68% of marketers use Twitter, a decline from 73% last year.
- Marketers’ use of LinkedIn dropped from 67% to 56%.
- Instagram use rose from 44% to 54%.
- Marketers’ use of YouTube dropped from 53% to 45%.
- Surprisingly, use of Pinterest fell from 40% to 30%.
- Snapchat rose from 5% to 7%.
Over the past twelve months, marketers indicated they posted eight times to Facebook per day. (Wow!) Only 15% of marketers have decreased their posting frequency.
On Instagram, marketers post four times daily while on Twitter they post six times daily, and on LinkedIn, they post four times a day.
It’s interesting to see what marketers are doing. What marketers focus on indicates which social media networks are more valued by businesses around the country. Clearly, marketers continue to invest more time and money into Facebook than any other social media network. To get the full report, go to this link.
Frances Caballo is a social media strategist and manager and the author of six books on social media. Click here to schedule an appointment with her.
Interested in marketing a book you wrote? Visit Frances at SocialMediaJustforWriters.com.